Why is speech therapy important?
Speech therapy is necessary to improve overall communication. Speech delay can cause problems listening, reading and writing, A speech therapist will look at a child’s ability to speak and understand others properly when working with them. They focus on language drills and group therapy to improve conversation drills.
Speech therapy has many benefits for children, including:
- Improving communication so they will be able to express thoughts and feelings
- Enabling them to speak so that others will understand what they are saying
- Preparing them for school so that they can keep up with other children in learning
- Improves vocal quality
- Increases self-esteem and independence
Speech therapy is time consuming and requires a commitment from parents. Often they have to work with the child at home for it to be successful. Overall, it takes time and often patience for speech to improve.
Speech therapy helps children in a number of critical areas
- It helps the child develop the ability to express their wants and needs – Children with autism may struggle to exchange ideas with others and this can prove to be difficult for them, their peers, and family.
- Understand what is being said to them – It may be difficult for a child with autism to understand the verbal and non-verbal communication cues that people use, and this can result in the child not understanding what is being said to him or her.
- Develop friendships – Children with autism can find that challenges in communicating with others can make developing friendships more difficult. Speech therapy helps a child’s overall sense of happiness and wellbeing grow by being able to form deeper bonds with their peers.
- Communicate clearly – Another aspect to autism is the difficulty of articulating words and meaning, and that in turn can make it challenging for those around the child to understand them. Speech therapy helps children to articulate words and sentences more clearly, and this helps them to participate in the broader community.
Who should I contact?
Ratmalana Audiology Centre is a well-renowned and highly professional specialist in helping kids with speech difficulties. If you are concerned about your child, our qualified speech therapists will take the time to speak with you and plan a speech therapy program to enable your child to improve their speech and accomplish great results.
Call us on : +94 76 8 050 600